Saturday, August 9, 2008

Oh Saturday!

What a Saturday! I'm so fired up right now - I feel like I could run through a wall. I started the day with my buddy Tod on an epic ride from Kenosha to Georgia Pass on the Colorado Trail. We started early and were able to enjoy the morning sun as we ripped 16" singletrack through meadows and aspen groves. It was beautiful. The ride has cemented itself in my top 5 Colorado rides. We also rode a couple miles above treeline near 12,000 feet as we crested Georgia Pass. The legs are feeling good.

If I wasn't riding, I was planning to watch a ride. Kel and I talked about going to Leadville to watch the Leadville 100 as we did last year. We decided against it, but then found out Lance Armstrong was racing. We didn't get to watch the race, but we tuned in as soon as we got over. Lance ended up taking 2nd to 6 time champion (and my personal hero) Dave Wiens. Wiens is an animal. He finished about 2 minutes ahead of Lance and broke the course record by 13 minutes while finishing the race on a flat tire. I was so pumped after remembering the emotion I felt last year when we watched the finish. Awesome.

To finish, the day I'm watching the Olympics and Phelps just smashed the WR in his first race. Kel wasn't all that amused as I yelled at the TV. :) I love the Olympics...so many great human stories. The smog is terrible though - watching it on TV, it is very noticeable. Yuck.

One last reason I was fired up - Kel had a huge accomplishment and I was very proud of her. I'll let her tell the story though... ;)

No comments: