Sunday, September 7, 2008

Epic on Monarch Crest


Epic ride on Monarch Crest today. Casey and I got up suuuuuper early to make the drive down to Poncha Springs to catch the shuttle to the top of Monarch Pass by 8 AM. From there, we traversed the ridge above treeline for roughly ten miles with sweeping views and increasingly warm sunshine. It was a perfect day for it. From there, we began the descent that weaves a ribbon of singletrack along mountains, down canyons, across streams, through meadows, and back to our vehicle in Poncha. We spent about 5 hours on the trail including two stops to fix a busted chain that Casey had to gingerly ease around the drivetrain for the last 2.5 miles for fear it would snap after I bent it on the second band-aid job. It was a monstrous day. I had my GPS rolling the entire time and it tracked ~3200 feet of climbing and 6500' of descending over the course of 35 miles. Big time. I hope to post a Google Earth overlay of our track shortly. I through together a quick web album of the few pictures I did take. Check them out. I shot the above photo in B&W for fun. You can spot Casey's helmet in the mid-right section of the photo as he makes his way up the hill.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: